Recipe: Rustic Italian Tomato Soup
- 16 oz. frozen mixed bell pepper strips (may be labeled stir-fry mix)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 can no-salt-added navy beans (drained, rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a food processor or blender, process the bell pepper strips, tomatoes with liquid, broth, beans, basil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes until slightly chunky or smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the flavors are blended.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the oil and salt.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association.
Sign Up for Health Tips
Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.