5 Nutrition Facts You Need to KnowMar 15, 2019
For National Nutrition Month, one of our dietitians at Brookwood Baptist Medical Center took the time to share with us five quick nutrition facts!
5 Nutrition Facts You Need to Know:
- Carbohydrates are essential- Carbohydrates are your body’s main energy source. ~45-60% of your daily calories should come from carbohydrates
- Don’t believe every nutrition headline you see- Look for proof of evidence based research. Many of the articles today aren’t backed by science.
- When you look on a food label try to get more of: Potassium, Fiber, Vitamins A & C, Iron, and Calcium. Choose foods with a higher % daily value of these important nutrients
- When you look on a food label try to get LESS of: Trans-fat, Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, Sodium, and Sugars. Choose foods that are lower in these nutrients.
- There are ~25 teaspoons of sugar in a tall Starbuck’s Frappuccino. Be careful of how much sugar & calories you consume from drinks during the day. Try to swap your sugary Frappuccino for an iced coffee with a sugar-free substitute.
Rebecca Steinman MS RDN LDN – Received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nutrition from The University of Mississippi and a Master of Science in Nutrition from UAB. She has been an RD for 3 years – all here at Brookwood.